Download PDF Version here
2013- PhD Candidate, Grotius Center of International Legal Studies, Leiden University, the Netherlands (Thesis Submitted)
(Affiliated to the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
2011-2012 Advanced LL.M., Public International Law (Peace, Justice and Development), Leiden University
2011-2012 Talent Program, a highly competitive pre-PhD training program in philosophy of science and research methodology, Leiden University
2007-2011 LL.B., Specialized in International Air and Space Law
Beijing Institute of Technology, China
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Passed China’s Bar Examination in 2010 (458/600).
- Obtained Certificate of Teaching Chinese as a Second Language in 2011.
- Proficient in making audience-friendly PowerPoint, Prezi, and motion-chart
2013-2017, Doctoral Project: Straightjacket: Same-Sex Orientation Under Chinese Family Law
- Looked into three major concerns in Chinese queer’s daily life: marriage, parenthood and elderly care.
- Engaged with critical feminist and queer legal theories, and legal-anthropological research methods.
- Skilled in bibliography management with Mendeley and qualitative data analysis with Atlas.ti.
- Key words: legal consciousness; family outlaws; beyond marriage; queer kinship; law in society.
2014-2015, Legal Researcher: Handbook on LGBT Legal Advocacy in China, Beijing, China
- Complied a handbook on the best practices of Chinese LGBT activists in advocating for legal change.
- Combined positivist legal analysis with interview materials in six case studies.
2012-2013, Research Assistant in Sexual Orientation Law, Leiden University
- Reviewed and compiled the laws in Asia-Pacific region and in European countries on the (de)criminalization of homosexuality.
- Assisted in designing a motion chart to visualize the correlation between the legal and social acceptance of homosexuality in the world.
- (forthcoming) Jingshu Zhu, Unqueer Kinship? Critical Reflection on Mixed-Orientation Marriage in Mainland China, Sexualities, 2017.
- (under review) Jingshu Zhu, “We’re Not Cheaters”: Polyamory, Mixed-Orientation Marriage and the Construction of Radical Honesty, Graduate Journal of Social Science, 2017.
- Xiaofei Guo and Jingshu Zhu, Silent Changes: Transsexuals’ Right to Marry in China’s Mainland and Hong Kong, Frontiers of Law in China, 2016, vol. 11 (3), 432-444.
- Jingshu Zhu, Inconvenient Sampling: Methodological Implications of an Ethnographic Study on “Gay Men’s Marriage Fraud” in Mainland China, China Youth Study, 10 (2016), 30-3
朱静姝，不方便抽样：中国大陆“男同骗婚”研究的方法论启示, 中国青年研究, 10 (2016), 30-35.
- Jingshu Zhu, “Unhealthy Influences”: A Lesbian-Related Trademark Case and the Plight of Chinese Anti-Discrimination Legislation, in Chu Chen-Ge, ed., Liberty and Its Chains: Legal Issues on Sexual Orientation and Same-Sex Marriage, 2014, Tsinghua University Press.
朱静姝，看不见的“不良影响”——从一起同性恋商标行政纠纷案说起, 褚宸舸主编, 自由与枷锁：性倾向和同性婚姻的法律问题研究, 北京: 清华大学出版社.
- Lucas Paoli Itaborahy and Jingshu Zhu, States Sponsored Homophobia: A World Survey of Laws: Criminalization, Protection and Recognition of Same-Sex Love, 2013 and 2014 editions, published by the International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA), Geneva.
- (Translated Book) Kenji Yoshino, Covering: the Hidden Assault on Our Civil Rights, Random House, 2007, into Chinese: 吉野贤治, 掩饰——同性恋的双重生活及其他, 清华大学出版社, 2016.
- 2017 August 31- September 2, Keynote Speaker, “‘We’re Not Cheaters’: Polyamory, Mixed-Orientation Marriage and the Constructionof Radical Honesty”, at 2nd Non-Monogamies and Contemporary Intimacies Conference, Vienna, Austria.
- 2017 March 16-19, Panel organizer and panelist: “Beyond Marriage Equality: Queer Kinship and Sociality in China and Taiwan”, at Association for Asian Studies Annual Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- 2016 October 21-22, “Haunting Hooliganism: Governing (Homo)sexuality in Neo-liberal China”, at Regulating and Legitimating Sexualities: The State, Law, Sexual Culture and Change under Neo-Liberalism, Differdange, Luxembourg.
- 2015 December 8-9, “Can Tongqi be Gay Men’s Straight Allies? Thinking Mixed Orientation Marriage Beyond Identity Politics”, at Gender and Change, Transcending Boundaries International Conference, Hong Kong, China.
- 2015 September 25-27, “Non-Monogamous Experiences in Chinese Queer Comrades’ Marital Life: A resistance to Hetero- and Homonormativity”, at 1st Non-Monogamies and Contemporary Intimacies Conference, Lisbon, Portugal.
- 2015 June 8-11, “‘Fake Marriages’ of Chinese Queer Comrades: Negotiating Queer Kinship within Family Normativity”, atQueer Kinship and Relationships Conference, Zalesie, Poland.
- 2013 October 26-28, “Anti-Discrimination Legislation and Social Acceptance of Homosexuality”, at Symposium on Theories and Practices of Anti-Discrimination Law, Beijing, China.
2014-2016, Guest Lecturer, Leiden Law School, the Netherlands
- Rights and Sexual Orientation”, at Human Rights Pedagogy Camp, training human rights lecturers from Chinese universities with knowledge of LGBT rights, Beijing, China, August 2014
- “LGBT Rights and Strategies in Mainland China”, co-presented with Elisabeth Engebretsen, held by Leiden University China Studies Program, January 2014
- “From Punishing to Covering: Court Cases in China in Relation to Sexual Orientation and the Socio-Legal Environment Chinese Lesbians and Gay People Live with”, session of the course Comparative Sexual Orientation Law, November 2015
2016 October, Guest Lecturer, Center for the Study of Sexualities, National Central University, Taiwan
- Gave three lectures in the symposium Paradigm Shift in Gender/Sexuality Studies, including “What is Queer in Mainland China and Taiwan?”, “The Development of Feminism Cross Strait” and “LGBTQ Movement Cross Strait”
2010 and 2017 (part-time), English Language Trainer, Collegepre Insitution, Beijing, China
- Taught IELTS (International English Language Test System) Speaking and Writing courses
- Offered one-on-one coaching and pastoral care to colleague students in an intensive training camp
- Skilled at customizing the study plans for less-motivated students
- 2014 October 19-25, NGO Representative, participating in CEDAW (Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women) Country Review (China), using international human rights mechanism to push Chinese government to pass anti-discrimination law and law against domestic violence, Geneva.
- 2014 October 10, “Sexual Orientation Law Cross Strait”, a dialogue held by the Taiwan Alliance to Promote Civil Partnership Rights, Taipei, China Taiwan.
- 2014 September 13, “Day-to-Day Legal Chinese Tongzhi Need to Know”, co-paneling with lawyer Yan Wenxin, at the Annual Meeting of Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, Guangzhou, China.
- 2013 March 29-31, “Legal Recognition and Social Acceptance of Homosexuality in Asia: And What’s Next?”, at ILGA Asia Conference 2013, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 2014 July 24, “LGBT rights in China and Around the World”, at LGBT Pride Month event co-sponsored by the US Consulate, Guangzhou, China.
- 2012 December 12-16, “Homophobic Laws and Neighbors around the World”, co-presenting with Kees Waaldijk at ILGA World Conference, Stockholm, Sweden.
GRANTS AND AWARDS
- 2014-2017, China Scholarship Council, PhD Fellowship.
- 2010, Department of Education in China, National Scholarship.
- 2007-2010, Beijing Institute of Technology, six times of Renmin Scholarship.